The Gambia Fire and Rescue Services (GFRS) Public relation officer disclosed to Foroyaa during the weekend that a fire outbreak which occurred in one Wally Njie’s Compound in Fajikunda has claimed the life of Modou Fadera a 2 year old boy.

The incident he said occurred on Wednesday 8 February 2017 in the house of Kumba Dambally in the said compound.

“The fire was said to start around 23:00 hrs but the Churchill’s town Fire Station received a call at 23:45. The fire started when three children were in the house all by themselves with their mother outside,” he said.

According to PRO Drammeh,  when the fire started the two older boys, Saikou Fadera  a seven year old boy and  Badou Fadera a five year old boy ran out and left their younger brother Modou Fadera  the deceased to call their mother.

He said that by the time she came the house was totally engulfed in fire.

“Young Modou could not make it out as his two brothers; he was trapped in the house and it was too late to save him. It’s very unfortunate but the boy’s life could have been saved if fire fighters were given correct direction to the place.”

He said when they were called on phone, they moved to three different streets before they were able to locate the exact place.

PRO Drammeh appealed to the General public to be giving correct information to the GFRS to help execute their duties without hindrance.

“I call on all parents to minimize the use of candles and start using camping lamps; candles, mosquito coils and incense pots if not properly taken care of can cause fire,” he cautioned.

He said the GFRS is aspiring to prevent fire outbreaks; this is why they are conducting sensitization talk shows on radios, schools and even in communities to educate the general public on fire safety and prevention.


Join The Conversation