By Sulayman Bah

Brikama United over the weekend made home advantage count trashing Serrekunda United at the Box Bar  Brikama winsmini-stadium to grab their first points of the new season.

Former U-17 and midfielder Sainey Bojang’s fired home the decisive goal ten minutes from time after the first-half failed to produce a goal.

Sainey –pictured being mobbed by team-mate in celebration of his goal – waded his way past defenders to slot in.

Elsewhere at the Serrkunda East mini- stadium a new-look Real de Banjul side were forced to a one-all stalemate.

The capital-side donning their traditional whites with a green patch to shoulders, broke the deadlock in the second-half through ex- GPA and debutant Edi Ndow who clattered from inside the box past goalkeeper Baka Ceesay.

However the telecommunication side were soon on level terms when Real de Banjul’s defender Adama Sabally turned the ball into his own net, under pressure from Modou Sarr, in apparent back-pass to his on-rushing goalkeeper. The incident followed a bitter protestation from Sabally claiming Sarr pushed him from behind.

Gamtel were later reduced to ten men when defensive midfielder Alfusainey Jatta launched a two-footed sliding challenge on debutant Bully Drammeh.

In another match, Gambia Ports Authority drew Hawks at the Banjul mini-stadium.

Earlier on Saturday Blue Boys Wallidan got off on a high note in this season’s league opener beating town rivals Banjul United 2-1 at the Banjul mini-stadium.

Two goals from forward Modou Lamin Manneh scored in each of the two halves secured Wallidan of their first points of the season against a once resolute Banjul United.

Manneh, pictured above, hammered in the opening goal after twenty-five minutes before ramming home the second with a delightful finish.

BJL United managed to score but it proved a mere consolation.

Elsewhere in Brikama, Bombada who finished sixth after making the climb from the second tier last term got it on with Steve Biko. Both sides settled on a one-all stalemate.

Samger and Gambia Armed Forces also managed to pull off a 1-1 tie at the Serrekunda East mini-stadium.


Join The Conversation