By Alhagi fs Sora The Gambia Immigration Department on 16th September 2014 issued a press release informing the general public that a new Biometric passport would soon be introduced for all eligible Gambians. According to the release, this biometric system will render passports:
- Highly secure, to protect against forgery and identity theft.
- Makes the passport compliant with ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) regulations.
- Border crossing is made faster and easier
- Facilitate the process of getting a visa for the USA, Europe and KSA
- Make Gambian travel documents up to International standard
- An e-Gate installed at the airport for automatic border control, will allow Gambians to enter The Gambia territory in a matter of seconds.